Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Running To Myself: Part 1

I remember the first time I stepped foot in that arena, three years ago. I remember the smell, the cold air that ran through the building, the feeling of competition mixed with anticipation and excitement. After an entire year of pouring my heart into my training, bonding with my team mates, and getting up no matter what happens, had led me to this moment, where I felt a dream becoming real. I was at the National Barrel Horse Association World Championships. I felt the dirt under my feet, looking around, trying to picture myself running in this place...what an honor.

It had been an emotional roller coaster of a year, beginning with fierce competition and ending in a sudden death of a close family member. I knew this was going to be my redemption...a way to put it all behind me, and just run. Two months before I was set to compete at my first World Championships, I had a horse accident that left me with a broken wrist. I had managed to shoot my bone all the way up into my arm, which caused me a lot of pain, physically and emotionally. I remember laying in the hospital bed before surgery, crying. But I was not crying because I was hurting, I was not crying because I was in the hospital, I was crying because I saw my dreams crashing down in front of my eyes. What I had worked for so entirely hard, yearned for in all my free time, was slowly slipping away. Three days after I got out of surgery, we got a call from the hospital...but it was not for me. My aunt had been in a car accident, and had passed away. It all seemed like it happened so fast. First, I was broken, then my entire family was broken...it seemed like my whole world was fading out, as I had no one left to turn to. My aunt was my biggest supporter...though she didn't have a lot of money, she drove to my events whenever she could, constantly talked about me wherever she went, and called to ask about me and my horses weekly. After her funeral, I realized that I couldn't give up. Yes, I had a broken wrist, and a broken heart, but I couldn't let her down. I couldn't let myself let her down.

I put myself into overdrive in my rehibilitation. I worked and trained my horses like I had nothing else to live for. I did everything I possibly could to regain my strength in myself, and my sport. A month later, I was in Mississippi, horses in tow. I was standing in that arena, as grateful as I had ever felt. My arm was in a brace, and I was ready to do my best. The first race came, and I passed under the banner that read "through these doors will pass America's champions". I knew with my whole heart that I was truly a champion. I ran my horse and made the cut into world finals. I was ecstatic, and very thankful. After two more days of watching my competition, it was time for the run of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment