Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Running To Myself: Part 2

I walked into the arena for the recognition ceremony, preparing for the run of my life. There was a barrel in the center, where each competitor would go and pray, one at a time. I was standing next to world champions that were on magazine covers all over the world, and I had the honor to compete among them. I waited until they called my name, and said where I was from. I walked up to that barrel, under it's spotlight, and looked at it. It had so many dents, scrapes, scars...it wasn't pretty anymore...but it was still standing. I thought of my life and how I am that barrel. I had blow after blow upon me, and yes, I was broken, but I was still standing. I laid my hands on that barrel and said a quick prayer for safety, and courage. I left that arena with a fire, a drive that had been rekindled in my heart. I went to saddle my horse for the final round, where I would either make it to the top, or lose it all. Fast forward one hour, and it was my turn. I was praying as my horse's heart was pounding, I was praying for the courage to do my best. They said my name, "From the land of champions, here comes your cowgirl, Andrea Traeger from Solon, Iowa." I looked up to the sky and dedicated this run one last time to my aunt. I ran in and before I knew it, I was done. I looked at the clock and my heart sank. I didn't have the run that I was hoping for. Suddenly, I felt like my work had amounted to nothing whatsoever. Now, it was up to the other runners, to see if I would make it in and make a placing in world standings. After a grueling day, I went to see my horse, who looked like he had tried his best, and was disappointed that I was disappointed. I petted him on the face and realized that I had come so far, no matter what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment